Golden Mile Tower History
Golden Theatre was the biggest cinema in Singapore and Malaysia when it was completed in 1973 with over 1500 seats. Chong Gay Theatres Ltd built Golden Theatre and Golden Mile Tower and the architect was Goh Hock Guan Design Team. Chong Gay Theatres Ltd also built the 2400-seater Kallang Cinema in 1978, the largest cinema in Southeast Asia when it was built, which was bought over by the government in the ‘80s as a new cultural venue called Kallang Theatre.
Golden Theatre was well patronised for its good quality Mandarin films in the ‘70s and ‘80s and ‘adult’ artistic films in the ‘90s.
Golden Theatre, like many other cinemas built in that time, was originally one big movie theatre with stalls and circle seats. The space was subdivided into three separate halls in the 1990s. The Projector revived two of these halls (Golden 1 and Golden 2) on the fifth floor that were once the circle seats of Golden Theatre. With an added hall in 2017, The Projector now has a total of three halls.